- Building Department
- Clerk's Office
- Emergency Management Division
- Fire Department
- Human Resources
- Information Services
- Parks and Recreation
- Police Department
- Chief's Message
- Administrative Services
- Community Resources Services
- Investigations Division
- Patrol Division
- Communications Center
- Crime Prevention Tips
- Division of Public Services
- Community Development
- Public Works
- Solid Waste Department
- Fact Sheets
Gas Pump Safety
Static Electricity at the Pump
You get out of your car to get gas and as you close your
car door…zap! You feel a shock. This is caused by static
While the static shock may be unpleasant, it is important to discharge the static from your body before touching the gas pump nozzle. On rare occasions, the static electricity spark can ignite the gasoline vapors causing a fire.
Static electricity is more common during cool or cold and dry weather although it may occur at any time. Static electricity is a natural occurring phenomenon and is not unique to the service station environment.
Preventing a Static Fire
Before using the pump, touch metal or the car door with
your bare hand. This will discharge static electricity on your
body and will prevent possible fire.
Once the gasoline is pumping, do not get back into your vehicle. This can recharge your body with static electricity. If you must get back into your vehicle, discharge static electricity again before touching the pump nozzle.
Cell Phones and Other Electronic Devices
Some cell phone manufacturers have cautioned their customers to switch off their cell phones while pumping gas because of the remote possibility that the cell phone could act as a source of static electricity.