This page is printer friendly.White Space

Frequently Asked Questions

General Human Resources
Assessing Department Parks and Recreation
Building Department Police Department
Clerk's Office Public Works
Community Development Public Works Water Billing
Emergency Management Solid Waste Department
Fire Department Treasurer's Office



How can I prevent door-to-door solicitors/peddlers from approaching my home?

The Township cannot refuse to issue a permit to door-to-door solicitors and/or peddlers who meet our requirements. However, the soliciting/peddling ordinance states that "it shall be unlawful for an individual, group, association, partnership or corporation to engage in solicitation or peddling at any time on premises where the property owner, or person in control of the property has clearly posted a notice that solicitors and peddlers are prohibited". A property posted with a "No Soliciting" sign should address your problem. No Solicitors stickers are available in the Clerk's Department. If the property is posted and ignored by solicitors, a call to the Township Police Department at (734) 354-3232 is suggested.

How often do I need to get a license for my dog?

Annually. Dog licenses can be purchased at the Treasurer’s Office. Click here to view and print a dog license application form.

Do I need a license for a garage sale?

No, However Ordinance 33 limits garage sales to twice a calendar year for no more than 72 hours.  A garage sale sign may be posted at the entrance to the subdivision.

Where do I go to find information on activities, programs, classes and help for senior citizens?

Plymouth Township’s Senior Center is called Friendship Station and is located at 42375 Schoolcraft (at Bradner). Activities include card playing (euchre, pinochle and bridge), daytime and evening line dancing sessions and Tai Chi classes. For information on these activities contact the Township Supervisor’s Office at 734-354-3203.

The Plymouth Community Council on Aging offers help to seniors such as transportation, food, minor home repairs and outside maintenance. For information call 734-453-1234, ext. 236 or visit the office at Plymouth City Hall, 201 S. Main.

I would like to see a stop sign, traffic signal or other street sign installed in my neighborhood. Whom can I talk to about this?

As a charter township and not a City, Plymouth Township has no authority or control over the roads and signals in our community. Wayne County Roads is the controlling authority. However, the police department has developed an excellent working relationship with Wayne County Roads and can assist in any evaluation of unsafe traffic situations. It is best to contact the Police Department and ask to leave a message with the Sergeant in charge of your Neighborhood Service Area.

Where can I get a copy of the deed to my property?

Deeds are available at the Wayne County Register of Deeds. For information call (313) 224-5850.

Where does our water come from?

The water comes from the Detroit River. It is purified by the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) through a water treatment plant. From there, it is pumped through their distribution system to Plymouth Township water system.

What chemicals are in the water?

DWSD sends us a monthly analysis of the water, which is available upon request. DWSD is responsible for the chemical content of the water. Their treatment plant has a laboratory with a certified chemist that monitors the water on a continual basis. Specific questions can be directed to the Manager of the Water Quality Division of the DWSD at (313) 267-3627.

A tree between the edge of the road and the sidewalk has caused two sections of sidewalk to raise. What do I do?

The DPW will inspect the site and take remedial action. The property owner has 30 days to make a repair.

When are Planning Commission Meetings? Where are they held?

Planning Commission meetings are held at 7:00 pm on the third Wednesday of each month. The meetings are held in the Plymouth Township Hall, Board Meeting Room, 9955 N. Haggerty Road. Click here for more information about the Planning Commission.

Does Plymouth Township regulate the rates set by the cable companies?

No. The individual cable service providers set the rates. The Board of Trustees sought to have local competition between cable operators to ensure that the residents would have a choice.

How do I make a complaint about my cable TV provider?

Click here for more information.

 Back To Top


Assessing Department

What is a Property Transfer Affidavit?

It is a Michigan Department of Treasury form that must be filed whenever a property transfers ownership. A Property Transfer Affidavit (L-4260) must be filed by the new owner with the Assessor’s office where the property is located within 45 days of the transfer (even if you are not recording a deed). Click here to go to the Forms and Permits page of the website to view/print the Property Transfer Affidavit.  The affidavit must state the parties to the transfer, the date of the transfer, the actual consideration for the transfer and the property’s parcel identification number or legal description.

How is my tax bill computed?

Taxable Value X Millage = Tax Bill.  Click here to see the Tax Rate tables in the Treasurer's section of the website.

I purchased my home in last year, how will this affect my tax bill?

Since you purchased your home last year, your current year taxable value will be "uncapped" and be based on the new State Equalized Value (SEV) for your home.

This is because Michigan voters approved Proposal A in 1994. Property taxes are now calculated on the taxable value of your property.  Proposal A amended the Michigan Constitution to limit, or place a "cap" on, increases in the yearly growth of the taxable value for each individual parcel of property. Proposal A states that in the year following a transfer of property, the taxable value will be the property’s State Equalized Value (SEV), regardless of the cap. However, beginning with your next year taxable value, the "cap" is placed back on the taxable value.

It is important to remember that after the first year, the taxable value can only be increased by the Inflation Rate Multiplier (IRM) or 5%, whichever is less, plus the value of additions and losses. This will continue annually "as long as you own the property."

What is the deadline for filing a Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit?

The deadline to file a Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit (Form 2368) is June 1 and November 1of each year. Click here to print the affidavit.

How do I claim my principal residence exemption on my new home?

A Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit (Form 2368) must be completed and filed with the Township Treasurer. A taxpayer must own and occupy their home as their principal residence as of June 1 of any year for the summer tax levy and subsequent levies and November 1 for the winter tax levy and subsequent levies in which they are seeking the 18-mil principal residence exemption. You must apply for the exemption when you purchase the home. The affidavit is available at the time of your closing. If not, the Assessor’s office will provide you with the affidavit.  You can also print the affidavit from the Forms and Permits page in the website.

I am claiming the principal residence exemption on the home I just purchased, what happens to the exemption on the home I sold?

The exemption on your old home remains in effect until December 31 of the year your home is sold. You may rescind your exemption on the Request to Rescind/Withdraw Principal Residence Exemption form (Form 2602) at closing. If not, the Assessor’s office will provide you with the form. Also, we have made Form 2602 available on the website.  Click here to print the affidavit from the Forms and Permits page.

How do I correct an error regarding my principal residence exemption?

If you believe that you qualified for, but did not receive a principal residence exemption for the current year or the immediately preceding three years, you must supply the Assessing office with the following information to qualify for consideration:

A. Three signed copies of the Principal Residence
     Exemption Affidavit that was filed with the local

B. A copy of your deed (showing ownership).

C. A brief letter stating the dates that you owned and
    occupied the house as your principal residence and
    affirming that you have not been denied a principal
    residence exemption by the State of Michigan or the
    local assessor.

D. A copy of a utility bill in your name dated prior to June 2
    of the year, in which you are seeking an exemption,
    mailed to the address of the principal residence.

Properties considered non-principal residence exemption as a result of clerical error or mutual mistake may be corrected at the July or December Board of Review for the current year and the immediately preceding three years. Corrected tax bills will be available after the Board of Review has acted. Taxpayers should address additional questions regarding the homestead exemption and your right of appeal to: Michigan Department of Treasury, Principal Residence Section, PO Box 30440, Lansing, MI 48909 (517) 373-1950,

What documentation do I need to appeal my assessment?

Residents who appeal their value should provide documentation to support why their assessment is too high. Provide documentation of comparable houses in your neighborhood that sold at lower prices than your appraised value, or provide a recent appraisal reflecting the fair market value of your home. The Assessing office has sales information where you can look at sales in your neighborhood and compare them to your home. It is also a good idea to review your field inspection sheet in the Assessing office for accuracy. If there is an error, it should be brought to the attention of the Assessing office. A "Petition to the Board of Review" must be completed before appearing before the Board. This petition may be obtained from the Assessing office or in the Forms and Permits page of this website.

Is there any type of property tax relief?

Property owners can request tax assistance from the Board of Review if the taxes levied against their property create a financial hardship. Documentation is necessary, and a poverty petition must be completed. This petition may be obtained from the Assessing office or from  the Forms and Permits page of this website. This reduction does not carry over from year to year. You must appeal a poverty exemption every year to the Board of Review.

What is personal property?

The Assessing Department must assess the personal property in possession of businesses as of December 31 of the immediately preceding year, which is considered tax day. Personal property is all (but not limited to) furniture, fixtures, machinery, signs, equipment, computers, tools, dies, jigs, leased equipment, leasehold improvements and buildings on leased land. The confidential Personal Property Statement (L-4175), filed by the business owners, is used by the Assessing Department to make a personal property assessment. The statements are mailed the first week in January to businesses operating in the Township. Personal property statements must be completed and delivered to the Assessing office on or before February 20 of each year, even if there is no assessable property to report.

For other Assessing Department information not found here, please visit the
Assessing Department section of the website. 

Back To Top


Building Department

I am considering having some improvements made to my home. How do I know what work requires a building permit?

Any work done to your home (or building on your property) that will alter the structure requires a permit. Most work, with the exception of painting, wallpapering or landscaping, requires a permit. Call the Building Department at (734) 354-3209 to find out if your project needs a permit and how to obtain one. You can print a Building Permit application from the Forms and Permits page in the Reference Desk section of the website.

Where can I park my RV or boat?

Hide it behind your home. Park it within the side building lines extended and at least 20 feet from the rear lot line. A corner lot must be landscaped to shield the RV or boat from the road. Notify the ordinance officer if it must sit in the driveway for more than a few hours.

Are there rules on garage sales?

By ordinance, they are limited to two per year, no permit needed. They can run up to three days in a row, from 9:00 am to a half-hour after sunset. Garage sale signs can be placed at the entrance to your subdivision.

Where can House For Sale signs be placed?

Only on the property that is for sale. Directional/informational signs at subdivision entrances on street corners are prohibited and will be removed.

Can I place my car in my driveway for sale?

Yes. Make sure the car is registered to your home and has a valid license plate.

Is there an ordinance concerning lawns?

Owners must maintain vacant property which includes destroying weeds and trimming trees and shrubs to a minimum clearance of 8 feet above sidewalks and 10 feet above streets.

For other Building Department information not found here, please visit the Building Department section of the website.  Or, send your questions to Mark Lewis.

Back To Top


Clerk's Office

How and where can I register to vote?

Register to vote at the Clerk’s Office at the Township Offices or at any Michigan Secretary of State Office. If you have been registered in another city, bring your previous voter registration card when you come to register. Proof of current residency is required. Absentee ballots can be mailed to residents who make a written request in person or by mail. Call the Clerk’s Office for information at (734) 354-3228.

What if I change my name?

If you have legally changed your name you can change it at any Secretary of State Branch Office. You will be required to re-register to vote and sign the application with your new name.

When are the upcoming elections in Plymouth Township?

State of Michigan Election Law requires that you must register to vote at least 30 days prior to an election to be eligible to vote in that election. Please refer to the following election dates and registration deadlines.

Click here to view the upcoming election schedule.

How can I help with the elections?

There is always a need for election inspectors. Please go to the Forms and Permits page to print the application, complete it, then mail it or drop it off at our office. Anyone who is registered to vote and lives in the State of Michigan is eligible to work as an Election Inspector. The pay for the day is $165.00. To find out more, please call our office at (734) 354-3228.

What is the difference between a primary election and a general election?

In a Primary Election a ballot cannot be split between parties. If you cross over and vote for more than one party, your ballot will be invalid. In a general election, you can vote for members of the same party, or you may cross over and vote for any candidate in any party.

How can I get assistance in voting?

Any voter who needs assistance due to a physical disability or an inability to read or write may be given assistance. This person must be chosen by the Voter and cannot be an employer, an officer of the voter’s union, or an Agent of the voter’s union. At the precinct, two election inspectors Back To Toprepresenting different political parties will provide assistance if asked.


Community Development

How do I file for Planning Commission or Administrative Approval?

You must submit a completed Planning Commission & Community Development Application Form, along with all required support documents, to the Community Development Department. Details regarding the technical review process and submittal requirements for various types of requests, including Site Plan Review, Special Land Use Review, etc., are outlined in the Application Packets. The Packets also include a copy of the Planning Commission & Community Development Department Application Form, a review checklist, and the Township Fee Schedule. Please go to the Forms and Permits page to view and print an Application Packet.

How can I get information about a new development in the Township?

Application files may be viewed in the Community Development Department during regular business hours.  In addition, Planning Commission meeting agendas are posted on the Township website and include drawings of the proposed project.

What is the zoning of my property? 

The Zoning Map is available on the Township website.  The Community Development Department can also answer any questions regarding the zoning of a specific property.

To view the Township Zoning Map "Click Here."

What can I do with my property?

The Zoning Ordinance designates various land uses as either a Principal Permitted Use or a Special Land Use for each zoning district.  A Principal Permitted Use is considered to be an allowable use and is subject to the development requirements of the zoning district in which the property is located.  A Special Land Use may be allowed only if it is approved by the Planning Commission.  An approved Special Land Use is also subject to the development requirements of the applicable zoning district.

 Can my property be split?

All parcels created through a land split must comply with the dimensional standards of the zoning district in which the parcels are located.  The dimensional standards are contained within Article 20, Schedule of Regulations, of the Zoning Ordinance.  In addition, the division, combination, or reconfiguration of land is subject to an administrative review, based upon the standards outlined in Article 28, Section 28.2, Division of Unplatted Land, of the Zoning Ordinance.

 What is the Master Plan for Land Use?

The Master Plan for Land Use is an official public document that is adopted by the Planning Commission and used as a policy guide for land use and community development decisions.  It indicates, in a general way, how the community wants to develop over the next 10 – 20 years.

What is the Zoning Ordinance?

State law gives the Township the authority to regulate the use of land and the development of structures through zoning.  The Zoning Ordinance classifies all Township land into a zoning district, and designates the type of land uses which may be permitted within each district.  The Zoning Ordinance also establishes uniform standards for each zoning district regarding the physical development of land, including the size and height of a building, setbacks, parking, landscaping, and other site development requirements.  The Zoning Ordinance is a means to implement the Master Plan for Land Use.

To view the Township Zoning Ordinance, “Click Here.

Where can I view the Master Plan for Land Use, or the Zoning Map?

These items can be viewed on the Township Website.

To view the Master Plan for Land Use, "Click Here."
To view the Township Zoning Map,
"Click Here."

What properties are vacant or for sale?

The Community Development Department is not involved in the marketing of available real estate.  Please contact a realtor for this type of information.

What is a Consent Judgment?

The Planning Commission and/or the Board of Trustees will deny development requests that are contrary to our Zoning Ordinance and Master Plan. At times, applicants that have been denied sue the Township. The Township and the applicant may choose to enter into a negotiated settlement and Consent Judgment to avoid going to trial. Although the development resulting from a Consent Judgment may not comply with the exact standards of the Ordinance, they do reflect the spirit and intent of our Master Plan. Therefore, the resulting developments have been beneficial to the surrounding area and an asset to the general community.

For other Community Development Department information not found here, please visit the Community Development Department section of the website. Or, send your questions to Community Development.

 Back To Top

Emergency Management

When are the warning sirens tested?

The first Saturday of each month at 1:00 pm.

What are the siren tones for?

A steady tone for 3 to 5 minutes means Tornado Warning during the tornado season and "Tune to your local TV or radio station" for further information, during the rest of the year

Where can I get severe weather and other safety information?

This website has an Emergency Management section with more information to view or you stop in to the Township offices and check out the information racks.

I would like to become a severe weather spotter. How do I get started?

The severe weather spotters group is commonly know as SKYWARN. The National Weather Service conducts spotter classes every spring. Check out the NOAA web link for time and dates.

The Plymouth Township Skywarn Team is no longer a functional part of Plymouth Township Emergency Management. Anyone interested in becoming a part of the Skywarn system should contact the Office of Emergency Management for Wayne County or Wayne County Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES) at 734-942-5289Back To Top


 Fire Department

Is it OK to burn my garden waste and leaves in Plymouth Township?

No, that is considered "open burning" which is against local and County ordinance.

May I have a small open fire for a party I am having?

Yes, this type of fire is classified as a "recreational fire".

What is “Open Burning”?

Open burning is defined as the burning of materials wherein products of combustion are emitted directly into the ambient air without passing through a stack or chimney from an enclosed chamber (International Fire Code 2000).

Is “Open Burning” allowable?

No. Open burning of leaves, wood, trash, and construction materials are banned. These items constitute a “nuisance” which also violates Wayne County Ordinance.

What about a “Recreational Fire”?

Recreational fires are not banned by this ordinance or code. A recreational fire is an outdoor fire, burning materials other than rubbish where the fuel being burned is not contained in an incinerator, outdoor
fireplace, barbeque grill or barbeque pit and has a total fuel area of 3 feet or less in diameter and 2 feet or less in height, for pleasure, religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth, or similar purposes.

What type of burning is permissible?

Objects such as outdoor fireplaces, chimineas, etc., if they are equipped with a chimney or stack, are permissible, and as long as they do not create excessive amounts of smoke, such as burning leaves in them. If these types of fires become a nuisance, and a complaint is filed with the Police or Fire Department, you will be asked to extinguish these fires.

Still have questions about "open burning"?

Call Fire Inspector at 734-354-3219.

How do I schedule safety talks or fire station tours?

Call the Fire Department business number at
(734) 354-3221 to schedule these events.

Does the Fire Department offer training in CPR, First Aid, or Advanced External Defibrillator (AED) Operation?

We can no longer offer instructors for these classes due to the increase in operational assignments and emergency calls.

Does the Fire Department refill fire extinguishers?

No. There are several companies listed in the yellow pages that fill fire Back To Topextinguishers.


 Human Resources

How do I apply for a job with Plymouth Township?

Applications are accepted only when the Township has a position opening and we are actively recruiting. Click here to go to the Job Postings page in Human Resources.  The job application form can also be printed from the website by clicking here.

How do I apply for the position of Police Officer with Plymouth Township?

Hiring for Police Officers is handled through EMPCO Inc. For an employment packet, please contact EMPCO at:

500 Columbia Center
201 W. Big Beaver Road
Troy, MI 48084
Office: (248) 528-8060
Fax: (248) 528-2773

How do I apply for the position of Firefighter with Plymouth Township?

If you would like to put your name in for consideration, please stop by the Clerk’s office. Leave your name, address and phone number and they will notify you when there is an opening. They keep names on file for approximately one year.

What are the minimum qualifications for a position with the Fire Department?

  • Possession of high school diploma or its equivalent
  • Possession of a State of Michigan Firefighter certification
  • Physical condition appropriate for the position with vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes
  • Possession of a valid Michigan Operator’s License with a good driving record
  • Must have a Michigan Paramedic License

What are the benefits for full-time employees?

Generally, the benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability insurance, vacation/sick/personal time, holidays, pension Back To Topplan, tuition reimbursement.


Parks and Recreation

What does Plymouth Township Park offer in the way of a sheltered gathering place?

The park offers three (3) sheltered gathering places, Shelter 1or Shelter 2 and a Pavilion. Shelter 1 holds about 80 people, Shelter 2 holds approximately 50 people, and the Pavilion holds 100. Badminton, bocci ball, "catch", frisbee and volleyball may be played in the grass areas of the park except around the Pavilion and equipment is NOT provided. Shelter 1 and the pavilion have two "Super Grills" in the vicinity of the area that are four (4) feet wide. Shelter 2 has one “Super Grill”. Charcoal is NOT provided. There is a fireplace in the pavilion, however, cooking over the fire is not allowed. Electricity is available in both shelters and the pavilion. The outlet for Shelter #1 is located 15 feet away, and Shelter #2 and the pavilion have outlets in the walls.


How do I make reservations for Plymouth Township Park?

Reservations can be made for either the Pavilion, Shelter #1 and Shelter 2.  All other activities in the park are first come first served. Reservation permits for current year only are issued starting after January 1 of that year. Reservations are made in person only and are accepted for the period of April 15 through October 15.

Click here for additional reservation information and fee schedule


What can I do at Plymouth Township Park for recreation?

Walking Paths:
Barrier free walking paths are located throughout the park and provide access to all areas of the park. There are 3 different distances, short, medium and long. The long distance path is 9/10 of a mile.

Fishing dock and pond:
Fishing in the pond is allowable and encouraged. Normal state fishing laws prevail. Youngsters under the age of sixteen may fish without a license. Please try to limit catch of trout and bass to two per fishing person or family. Remember, "Catch and Release" will help extend this important recreation resource. In the Spring of 2000, there will be a barrier free floating dock installed.

The playscape offers hours of fun for children. It is divided into two areas, one for smaller children and the other for older children. As always, smaller children should be accompanied by an adult. The playscape offers swings, slides, bridges, chain ladders and is completely wheelchair accessible.

Celebrating its grand opening in May of 2003, the SprayScape water feature has become a very popular destination for many Township residents. Open to all ages, the SprayScape is a great place for you and your family to cool off during the hot summer months. The water feature is scheduled to open memorial weekend and remain open until the September 30th providing weather warrants operation. The SprayScape rules are posted at the park and available on this website on the SprayScape page.

For other Parks and Recreation Department information not found here, please visit the Parks and Recreation Department section of the website.  Or, send your questions to Susan Vignoe.

Back To Top


Police Department

Does the Township Police Department provide services to the youth of the Community?

The department has an active School Resource Officer program. This program assigns one police officer to serve the five elementary schools in our community and another officer in the two middle schools. These officers provide drug and violence prevention programs (T.E.A.M) and act as a resource to the school administrators in safety, disciplinary, and intervention areas.

Does the police department provide property checks while we are away on vacation?

Yes - Vacation check forms may be obtained at the police department or
through this website. Vacation check forms are located under forms and
permits (police Dept)

What are the police department hours?

Officers are available to file complaints and accident reports 24 hours a
day 7 days a week. Copies of reports, fingerprinting and complaint
Inquiries can be done Monday- Friday 830am - 400pm

Where is the 35th District court located?

660 Plymouth Rd, Plymouth, MI 48170 (west of Haggerty Rd)
Business phone-734-459-4740

Can I pay a ticket at police station?

NO. Tickets must be paid by mail or at the 35th District Court.

Do I report an electrical power outage to the police department?

NO. You must contact Detroit Edison at 800-477-4747

My car has been impounded, where is the tow yard?

All vehicles Impounded by the Plymouth Township Police are taken to
Mayflower Towing which is located at :
1179 Starkweather St. Plymouth MI 48170
Phone :734-459-0053

* You MUST obtain a vehicle release from the Police dept and provide valid registration and insurance.

Back To Top


Public Works Water and Sewer

Where does our water come from?

The water comes from the Detroit River. All the water is purchased from the City of Detroit Water Department.

Does the Township have a publication or newsletter that provides information on the source of our water and the chemical contents?

Yes. In 1999, the Township began publishing a Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) which provides information on the chemicals in your water, testing of the water and other useful information.  It is published on the website and mailed to  each user.  Copies are available in the DPW Department

Is there a Township water or sanitary sewer system available to my property?

We have the utility records and can let you know if it is available and what the hook up costs will be.

I see water running on my property. What could it be?

Water bubbling up or running on the property or in a ditch could be from natural drainage, water main break, water service break, sump pump, lawn sprinkler system, field tile, storm drain, septic system, leaky gate valve, leaky fire hydrant, or other reasons. Please call and we will check the situation out.

Why is my water pressure low or high?

Please call the office. We can check your pressure at your home or business. We can provide information on how to resolve the situation.

I smell sewage, what do I do?

Please call the office. We will send someone to investigate the situation.

If I want to build a new home in the Township and utilities are available, do I have to hook up?

Yes, if the utilities are within 200 feet of the new home.

Where can I get a well or septic system permit?

These are issued by the Wayne County Department of Public Health - Environmental Health Division. They can be reached by calling (734) 727-7400.

Can I still use my well after I hook up to the Township water system?

Yes, but there must be a physical separation between the private and public systems.

Can I get a separate water meter for my lawn sprinkling system?

At the present time, Plymouth Township does not allow separate water meters.

My road is dusty. When will my road be chlorided?

Please call the office to find out if your road is included in our program and when the chloride application is scheduled.

What do I do if I have a problem with my sump pump?

Sump pump questions should be directed to the Township Building Department by calling (734) 354-3210.

For other Public Works Department information not found here, please visit the Public Works Department section of the website.  Or, send your questions to Mary Bruce.

Back To Top


Public Works Water Billing

What are the water rates in Plymouth Township?

The water rate is $3.98 per thousand gallons and the sewer rate is $5.97 per thousand gallons. All usage is based on your water consumption. (Example: you use 25,000 gallons of water, you are charged for 25,000 gallons of sewer.) This includes watering your lawn and filling swimming pools.

Do I get any relief on sewer charges for watering my garden and lawn in the summer?

Residential accounts receive a 25% sewer disposal credit (SDCR) once each year.  If your bill is due in October the credit covers water used in June, July and August. For bills that are due in November the credit covers July, August and September water use. The credit for bills due in December is for water used in August, September and October.  The sewer disposal credit does not apply to final bills or commercial accounts.

How often does Plymouth Township bill its customers?

The residential accounts are billed every three months and the commercial accounts are billed every month.

Where do I call for water bill inquiries and where do I pay my bill?

Water bill questions should be directed to the water billing department (734) 354-3270 and bills should be paid or sent to the Township Treasurer's Department.  Plymouth Township, Water & Sewer, P.O. Box 8040, Plymouth, MI 48170. 

We also have a drop box located outside on the circular drive. Just drive up to the white mailbox with green lettering, pull open the door, and drop your envelope inside. Please be sure to put your account number on your check, include your payment stub portion, and write “water bill” on the outside of the envelope.

Can I get my water bill electronically instead of through the mail?

Customers have the option to receive their water bills electronically. Bills will be emailed to you during the first week of the month in which they are due.  No reminders are sent.  Plymouth Township is not responsible for email failures and will not waive or refund penalties for late payments.

Click here for a Paperless Water Bill Authorization Form.  Submit the completed form and we will send you a test message to verify that we have the email address correct.  Once you respond to the message your account will be switched to paperless mode.

I am a landlord and would like to receive copies of water bills that are sent to my tenants.

Landlords can receive a postcard or email copy of the water bill that is sent to their tenants each billing cycle. Keep in mind that this is a copy only; duplicate payments will not be refunded by Plymouth Township.
Click here for the Landlord Agreement for Duplicate Water Bills.

Why do I have a self-meter reading card in my mail?

We ask the customer to read the water meter in your home or business so we can compare it to your outside reading device. This information is very important. Inaccurate billings will occur if the readings are not the same. Please send the card or call us at (734) 354-3270 if you discover such a problem.

Are there any other charges appearing on the water bill besides the water and sewer fee?

Yes. Residential accounts have Solid Waste Disposal Charge(SWD), Sewer Surcharge (WTUA) and a Service Charge for bill preparation and meter maintenance (SC).

Commercial Accounts include an Industrial Waste Control charge (IWC), Sewer Surcharge (WTUA) and Industrial Pretreatment Program Charge (IPP).

How do I get a “Final Water Bill?”

First, read the inside meter by recording the digits on the face of the meter from left to right.   Include all zeros and the stationary digit at the end which is painted on the dial.  Note - there will be seven (7) digits in all. 

Second, complete a Final Water Bill Request Form and submit it to the Water Billing Department as indicated at the bottom of the form. Click here for information on Final Water Bills and the Final Water Bill Request Form.

Upon receipt of all required information, the Water Billing Department will generate the final bill and issue it as indicated on the Final Bill Request Form.

How do I get on or off the automatic payment plan?

To get on the plan,  Click here for a copy of the application or call the Treasurers Department at 734-354-3214 to have one mailed to you.

To get off the plan you must fill out and sign a release form and submit it to the Treasurers Department. Click here for a copy of the release form.

Why did I get an estimated water bill?

If your bill is estimated, you will see an “E” after the present reading. Bills are estimated when there is not a reading. There may not be a reading due to an inside meter or outside reader problem, self-read card not returned, or a self-read meter card mailed in too late to use the reading.  If you want a revised bill, please call for an appointment at 734-354-3270 for us to come out and document your inside reading. An adjustment will be done and a revised bill mailed out to you.

What happens when my account is delinquent?

If a payment is not received by the due date printed on the  water bill, a 5% penalty is applied to the current billing period charges.

Each fall, delinquent amounts six months in arrears are transferred to Wayne County Taxes with a 35% administration fee added to the delinquent water amount.

Is there a charge for converting a meter or to have one tested for accuracy?

There is no charge for replacing/converting a meter or to have it tested. You would need to call the Water Department to schedule an appointment.

When do you schedule appointments?

We schedule appointments Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We arrive at the scheduled time, so there is no need to wait all morning or afternoon. Call (734) 354-3270.

When I move to Plymouth Township, how do I get the water service turned on and put into my name?

We do not turn off the water service when residential accounts change ownership. Water bills will come to the house addressed to "Resident". If you want them mailed elsewhere, Click here for an Address Change Request Form. Property sellers or outgoing tenants should request a final water bill. Click here for Final Water Bill Information and a Request Form.

What are my options for paying my water bill when out of town for a long period?

Water Bills are not forwarded by the Post Office because they are addressed to "Resident".
While you are away, there are four options you can use to pay your water bill:

Option One
Join the “automatic bill payment plan.” This is where your water bill is deducted from your saving or checking account, so you know what to deduct from your account register. 

Option Two
You can pay a current bill or an estimated water bill before you leave.  Take a reading from your inside meter and call or come in to get the current amount owed or an estimate based on your history for the same period.

Option Three
You can submit a Temporary Address Change form indicating where you want your bills mailed while you are away. You can get the form here on the website (click here for form) or you can come up to the second floor of the Township Hall . 

Option Four
You can give us a self-addressed, stamped envelope to where you are staying.  We will pull your bill, put it in the envelope, and mail it to you.

If you have a computer, you can e-mail Water Billing. The e-mail address is

When should you check your inside meter and outside remote readings?

This message will not apply to you, if you have the new Pro-Read system with an outside TOUCH PAD (looks like a rubber wall plate with a nub) which sends a reading from the meter to an electronic reading device. However, if you have an old style meter with a NUMERICAL REMOTE (looks like a small box with numbers that tumble over), make sure your inside meter and outside reader readings agree. The inside reading is the correct one, and you are responsible for the amount of water registered on this inside meter. If the readings do not agree, contact Plymouth Township Water Billing at (734) 354-3270. The new system can be installed free of charge with an appointment and 30 to 45 minutes of your time.

If I have an inside meter only with no outside reader, when should I read the white self-read meter card left on my door?

For those of you still on the older system, please complete the white self-read meter card the first week of the month the card is left and mail back with your date read. The card MUST BE MAILED BACK after the first week of the month in order to have your reading entered into the computer. Not mailing the card back after the first week will cause your account to be automatically estimated by the computer system. The Plymouth Township Post Office will hold these self-read meter cards for a week or two before mailing them back to us. If the card comes back after all final entries have been made into the computer, the computer will estimate a reading so you will get a bill. You can have a year of white cards sent to your house by calling the Water Billing Department at (734) 354-3270.

For other Water Billing information not found here, please visit the Public Works Department section of the website.  Or, send your questions to Kelly Latawiec.

Back To Top


Solid Waste Department

I’m new to the Township. When is my scheduled collection day?

Please visit the Maps page of the website to view a map of the Township's collection days. Your trash, recycle and compost (if in season) will be collected on the same day.

What time do I need to have my trash, recycle and compost to the curb?

All items that you wish to have collected must be to the curb by 7:00 am on your scheduled collection day. Items can be put to the curb as early as 6:00 pm on the evening prior to your scheduled collection day. We cannot guarantee collection unless items are placed curbside by 7:00 am

Why does the time the trucks collect my trash change from week to week?

Collection times vary based on the amounts of trash, recycle or compost that is put out. These volumes change randomly from week to week for each household.

On which holidays will my regular rubbish collection be delayed one day?

The solid waste contractor of the Township does not provide service on the following major holidays:

New Year’s Day Labor Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day
Independence Day Christmas Day

If a holiday falls on a weekday (Monday thru Friday) and your collection day falls on or after a holiday, your collection day will be delayed by one day that week to include Saturday. Holidays that fall on Saturday or Sunday will not affect your collection day.

Can I place yard waste out for pickup all year round?

No. Curbside yard waste collection is seasonal. There is no curbside yard waste collection during the last 2 weeks of January, February and March. During this time, you must keep/store any yard waste you generate on your property.

Where can I get a yard waste sticker?

Stickers are available in the Clerk’s and Treasurer’s Offices and the Division of Public Services.

Why won’t the collection workers empty my new garbage can?

In October of 2000, the Township’s waste hauler began enforcing a 35-gallon or less container size for all residents in the Township. Increased use of the larger sized containers over the previous years led to increases in the number of injuries to workers and, as a result, waste haulers throughout SE Michigan have stopped collecting the larger size cans.

Is there a weight limit on my garbage and compost?

Yes, there is a weight limit of 50 pounds. If your cans or bags weigh over 50 pounds the hauler will not lift the container.

Do I need to request a special pick up for large items?

No. Many larger items are accommodated by our hauler on your regular collection day. Examples of these items include sofas, loveseats, chairs, tables, bed frames, mattresses/box springs, bathtubs, sinks, toilets, air conditioners, stoves, dishwashers, microwaves, hot water heaters, washers and dryers.  Carpeting will be collected in three foot rolls, tied and less than 50 pounds.  Refrigerators must have the doors removed before placing at the curb.

Does the waste hauler collect construction materials curbside?

Yes, but only a small amount. These items include drywall, paneling, lumber, etc. cut to 3 foot or less lengths, nails pounded down and bundled or stacked neatly; bundles weighing 50 pounds or less. Very small amounts of Cement or Concrete can be accepted, please contact the Solid Waste Department before setting out curbside.

What can I do with materials not normally collected?

There are several options:

  1. You can request a special pick up by calling the Solid Waste Department for an appointment and fees.
  2. You may take your waste to a licensed sanitary landfill. The closest facility is Advanced Disposal - Arbor Hills facility located on Six Mile and Napier Roads in Salem Township. Please call first for directions and costs: Advanced Disposal – Arbor Hills (248) 349-7230.
  3. The Division of Public Services Talkin' Trash Series Guide TTS 4 which offers alternatives for many items that are not collected curbside

What materials will be accepted at the Township household hazardous waste collection event?

Click here for a complete list of acceptable and non-acceptable items.

How do I know if what I have is considered to be a hazardous waste?

A good rule of thumb is that if the product has warnings such as, "warning" or "caution" or "danger" or "poison" consider it hazardous and do not dispose of in your regular trash, down the drain, or into a storm sewer. If you still are unsure please feel free to call the Solid Waste Department to find a definite answer or Click here to visit the Household Hazardous Waste page of our website.

Household hazardous waste collection day is not for 6 months and I want to dispose of my wastes now. Are there places where I can dispose of my hazardous wastes responsibly throughout the year?

Yes. Click here to view the wastes, fees and disposal facility information list. 

My condominiums/apartments/mobile home park does not use the Township sponsored waste collection program and our waste hauler does not offer a recycling program where can I recycle?

Residences that use separate waste hauler services are also offered recycling options through the Township. Please call the Solid Waste Department for more information.

I would like to start a recycle program at my workplace in Plymouth Township. Where do I begin?

The Charter Township of Plymouth does not coordinate the collection of commercial or industrial waste or recycling; however, the Solid Waste Department has a packet of information to assist you in instituting your program. Please contact the Department for more information.

Other sources to assist you in your recycling efforts are listed below.

Michigan Recycling Coalition

The US Environmental Protection Agency

What can I put in the recycling bin?

In July of 2010 Plymouth Township was able to offer an expanded curbside recycle program.  To view a full list of accepted materials
click here.

Why is compost collection seasonal?

All yard waste that is collected from Plymouth Township residents is taken to a compost facility, not a sanitary landfill. During the winter months, generation of compostable material decreases significantly and our compost facility closes its scales due to lack of business. While some residents may generate small amounts of compost, it would not be cost effective to run the compost route for the full year.

Why can’t the regular trash truck take the compost?

In March of 1995, the State of Michigan ruled (PA 451 of 1994 [NREPA] as amended) that waste disposal facilities could not, knowingly, place yard waste into a sanitary landfill. This ruling can be viewed at:

What happens to the compost once it is processed?

This compost is sold by the facility to landscapers, developers etc. We also store usable compost during the season at the DPW Building located at 46555 Port Street that is available at no cost to our residents. Please contact the Solid Waste Department for more information.

What can I do with compost that I generate during the winter months?

All yard waste must be stored on your property until the season opens in the Spring.

Why not try backyard composting as a solution for your winter yard waste?  Click here for more information and links.

For other Solid Waste Department information not found here, please visit the Solid Waste Department section of the website.  Or, send your questions to Susan Vignoe.

Back To Top


Treasurer's Office

What are the office hours?

Our offices are open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.  If you are unable to come in person during these hours, there is a white drop box located in the parking lot.

My taxes are too high, how can I reduce the taxes?

The first thing you should do is talk to the  Assessor about the valuation on your property.  You can also check the appraisal records at Township Hall to make sure all components of the property are correct.  If you wish to proceed at this point, you must make an appointment with the March Board of Review to lodge an appeal.  For further information, contact the Assessing Department at (734) 354-3267.

What is the difference between Principal Residence and Non-Principal Residence?

(Principal Residence was formerly known as Homestead)

If you own and occupy your home as your principal residence, it should qualify as Principal Residence and may be exempt from a portion of your local school operating taxes.  Non-principal residence and business are considered Non-Principal Residence and are liable for school operating taxes.

My tax bill states Non-Principal Residence, should it be Principal Residence?

For a taxpayer to qualify for the Principal Residence Exemption they must own and occupy the property by May 1 of the year being requested.  A Principal Residence affidavit must be filed with the Treasurers Department. The Affidavit can be found in the Forms and Permits page.

Where can I get information about Principal Residence Affidavits and the tax valuation of my property?

Principal Residence Affidavits can be claimed or rescinded at the Treasurer’s Office, (734) 354-3218. Contact the Assessing Department for information about the tax valuation of property, (734) 354-3267.  Click here to print the Application to Rescind Principal Residence Exemption.

How do I get a stamped receipt if I use the drop box?

Enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your payment, and you will be mailed a stamped receipt.

Where can I find my Property ID number?

Property ID numbers can be found on the Tax Bill, Assessment Notice and Warranty Deed.

Can I charge my taxes on my credit card?

The Township does not accept credit cards for payment.

When are tax bills mailed out?

Tax bills are mailed on July 1st and December 1st.  If the day falls on a weekend, they are mailed on the Monday following the 1st.

How often does Plymouth Township send out water bills?

The residential accounts are billed every three months (quarterly) and the commercial accounts are billed every month.

How do I get on the automatic payment plan?

You may call the Water Billing Department at (734) 354-3270 or the Treasurer’s Department (734) 354-3214 to have an application mailed to you, or you can pick one up in either department. Click here to print a form from the Forms and Permits page of the web site.

Where do I call for water bill inquiries, and where do I pay my bill?

The Water Billing Department answers water bill inquiries at the Department of Public Works building located at 9955 N. Haggerty Road. from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. The Treasurer’s Department receipts the water bill payments at Plymouth Township Hall located at 9955 N. Haggerty Road from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. When mailing your water bill, send the bill to the Charter Township of Plymouth, P. O. Box 8040, Plymouth, MI 48170 and allow five business days for delivery. We also have a white drop box located on the circular driveway at Township Hall.

Back To Top