Assessing Department FAQ

Open Government/Budget
Document Center
Agendas and Minutes

Assessing Department FAQ's

What is a Property Transfer Affidavit?

It is a Michigan Department of Treasury form that must be filed whenever a property transfers ownership. A Property Transfer Affidavit (L-4260) must be filed by the new owner with the Assessor’s office where the property is located within 45 days of the transfer (even if you are not recording a deed). Click here to go to the Forms and Applications page of the website to view/print the Property Transfer Affidavit.  The affidavit must state the parties to the transfer, the date of the transfer, the actual consideration for the transfer and the property’s parcel identification number or legal description.

How is my tax bill computed?

Taxable Value X Millage = Tax Bill.  Click here to see the Tax Rate tables in the Treasurer's section of the website.

I purchased my home in last year, how will this affect my tax bill?

Since you purchased your home last year, your current year taxable value will be "uncapped" and be based on the new State Equalized Value (SEV) for your home.

This is because Michigan voters approved Proposal A in 1994. Property taxes are now calculated on the taxable value of your property.  Proposal A amended the Michigan Constitution to limit, or place a "cap" on, increases in the yearly growth of the taxable value for each individual parcel of property. Proposal A states that in the year following a transfer of property, the taxable value will be the property’s State Equalized Value (SEV), regardless of the cap. However, beginning with your next year taxable value, the "cap" is placed back on the taxable value.

It is important to remember that after the first year, the taxable value can only be increased by the Inflation Rate Multiplier (IRM) or 5%, whichever is less, plus the value of additions and losses. This will continue annually "as long as you own the property."

What is the deadline for filing a Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit?

The deadline to file a Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit (Form 2368) is June 1 and November 1of each year. Click here to print the affidavit.

How do I claim my principal residence exemption on my new home?

A Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit (Form 2368) must be completed and filed with the Township Treasurer. A taxpayer must own and occupy their home as their principal residence as of June 1 of any year for the summer tax levy and subsequent levies and November 1 for the winter tax levy and subsequent levies in which they are seeking the 18-mil principal residence exemption. You must apply for the exemption when you purchase the home. The affidavit is available at the time of your closing. If not, the Assessor’s office will provide you with the affidavit.  You can also print the affidavit clicking here.

I am claiming the principal residence exemption on the home I just purchased, what happens to the exemption on the home I sold?

The exemption on your old home remains in effect until December 31 of the year your home is sold. You may rescind your exemption on the Request to Rescind/Withdraw Principal Residence Exemption form (Form 2602) at closing. If not, the Assessor’s office will provide you with the form. Also, we have made Form 2602 available on the website.  Click here to print the affidavit

How do I correct an error regarding my principal residence exemption?

If you believe that you qualified for, but did not receive a principal residence exemption for the current year or the immediately preceding three years, you must supply the Assessing office with the following information to qualify for consideration:

A. Three signed copies of the Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit that was filed with the local Treasurer.

B. A copy of your deed (showing ownership).

C. A brief letter stating the dates that you owned and occupied the house as your principal residence and affirming that you have not been denied a principal residence exemption by the State of Michigan or the local assessor.

D. A copy of a utility bill in your name dated prior to June 2 of the year, in which you are seeking an exemption, mailed to the address of the principal residence.

Properties considered non-principal residence exemption as a result of clerical error or mutual mistake may be corrected at the July or December Board of Review for the current year and the immediately preceding three years. Corrected tax bills will be available after the Board of Review has acted. Taxpayers should address additional questions regarding the homestead exemption and your right of appeal to: Michigan Department of Treasury, Principal Residence Section, PO Box 30440, Lansing, MI 48909 (517) 373-1950,

What documentation do I need to appeal my assessment?
Residents who appeal their value should provide documentation to support why their assessment is too high. Provide   documentation of comparable houses in your neighborhood that sold at lower prices than your appraised value, or provide a recent appraisal reflecting the fair market value of your home.   The Assessing office has sales information where you can look at sales in your neighborhood and compare them to your home. It is also a good idea to review your field inspection sheet in the Assessing office for accuracy. If there is an error, it should be brought to the attention of the Assessing office. A "Petition to the Board of Review" must be completed before appearing before the Board. This petition may be obtained from the Assessing office or it is available on the Forms and Applications page of the website.
Is there any type of property tax relief?
Property owners can request tax assistance from the Board of Review if the taxes levied against their property create a financial hardship. Documentation is necessary, and a poverty petition must be completed. This petition may be obtained from the Assessing office or from  the Forms and Applications page of this website. This reduction does not carry over from year to year. You must appeal a poverty exemption every year to the Board of Review.
What is personal property?

The Assessing Department must assess the personal property in possession of businesses as of December 31 of the immediately preceding year, which is considered tax day. Personal property is all (but not limited to) furniture, fixtures, machinery, signs, equipment, computers, tools, dies, jigs, leased equipment, leasehold improvements and buildings on leased land. The confidential Personal Property Statement (L-4175), filed by the business owners, is used by the Assessing Department to make a personal property assessment. The statements are mailed the first week in January to businesses operating in the Township. Personal property statements must be completed and delivered to the Assessing office on or before February 20 of each year, even if there is no assessable property to report.

For other Assessing Department information not found here, please visit the Assessing Department section of the website.