Community Development FAQ

Open Government/Budget
Document Center
Agendas and Minutes

Community Development FAQ's

How do I file for Planning Commission or Administrative Approval?
You must submit a completed Planning Commission & Community Development Application Form, along with all required support documents, to the Community Development Department. Details regarding the technical review process and submittal requirements for various types of requests, including Site Plan Review, Special Land Use Review, etc., are outlined in the Application Packets. The Packets also include a copy of the Planning Commission & Community Development Department Application Form, a review checklist, and the Township Fee Schedule. Please go to the Forms and Permits page to view and print an Application Packet
How can I get information about a new development in the Township?

Application files may be viewed in the Community Development Department during regular business hours.  In addition, Planning Commission meeting agendas are posted on the Township website and include drawings of the proposed project. View Current Projects Here

What is the zoning of my property?

The Zoning Map is available on the Township website.  The Community Development Department can also answer any questions regarding the zoning of a specific property.

To view the Township Zoning Map "Click Here."

What can I do with my property?

The Zoning Ordinance designates various land uses as either a Principal Permitted Use or a Special Land Use for each zoning district.  A Principal Permitted Use is considered to be an allowable use and is subject to the development requirements of the zoning district in which the property is located.  A Special Land Use may be allowed only if it is approved by the Planning Commission.  An approved Special Land Use is also subject to the development requirements of the applicable zoning district.

Can my property be split?

All parcels created through a land split must comply with the dimensional standards of the zoning district in which the parcels are located.  The dimensional standards are contained within Article 20, Schedule of Regulations, of the Zoning Ordinance.  In addition, the division, combination, or reconfiguration of land is subject to an administrative review, based upon the standards outlined in Article 28, Section 28.2, Division of Unplatted Land, of the Zoning Ordinance.

What is the Master Plan for Land Use?

The Master Plan for Land Use is an official public document that is adopted by the Planning Commission and used as a policy guide for land use and community development decisions.  It indicates, in a general way, how the community wants to develop over the next 10 – 20 years.

What is the Zoning Ordinance?

State law gives the Township the authority to regulate the use of land and the development of structures through zoning, which is a form of local law.  The Zoning Ordinance classifies all Township land into a zoning district, and designates the type of land uses which may be permitted within each district.  The Zoning Ordinance also establishes uniform standards for each zoning district regarding the physical development of land, including the size and height of a building, setbacks, parking, landscaping, and other site development requirements.  The Zoning Ordinance is a means to implement the Master Plan for Land Use.

To view the Township Zoning Ordinance, “Click Here.

Where can I view the Master Plan for Land Use, or the Zoning Map?
These items can be viewed on the Township Website.

To view the Master Plan for Land Use, "Click Here."
To view the Township Zoning Map, "Click Here."

What properties are vacant or for sale?
The Community Development Department is not involved in the marketing of available real estate.  Please contact a realtor for this type of information.
What is a Consent Judgment?
The Planning Commission and/or the Board of Trustees will deny development requests that are contrary to our Zoning Ordinance and Master Plan. At times, applicants that have been denied sue the Township. The Township and the applicant may choose to enter into a negotiated settlement and Consent Judgment to avoid going to trial. Although the development resulting from a Consent Judgment may not comply with the exact standards of the Ordinance, they do reflect the spirit and intent of our Master Plan. Therefore, the resulting developments have been beneficial to the surrounding area and an asset to the general community.

For other Community Development Department information not found here, please visit the Community Development Department section of the website.

Or, send your questions to Community Development.