General FAQ

Open Government/Budget
Document Center
Agendas and Minutes

General FAQ's

How can I prevent door-to-door solicitors/peddlers from approaching my home?

The Township cannot refuse to issue a permit to door-to-door solicitors and/or peddlers who meet our requirements. However, the soliciting/peddling ordinance states that "it shall be unlawful for an individual, group, association, partnership or corporation to engage in solicitation or peddling at any time on premises where the property owner, or person in control of the property has clearly posted a notice that solicitors and peddlers are prohibited". A property posted with a "No Soliciting" sign should address your problem. No Solicitors stickers are available in the Clerk's Department. If the property is posted and ignored by solicitors, a call to the Township Police Department at (734) 354-3232 is suggested.

How often do I need to get a license for my dog?

Annually. Dog licenses can be purchased at the Treasurer’s Office. Go to the Treasurers section of the Forms and Applications page of the website to view and print a dog license application form.

Do I need a license for a garage sale?

No, However Ordinance 33 limits garage sales to twice a calendar year for no more than 72 hours.  A garage sale sign may be posted at the entrance to the subdivision.

Where do I go to find information on activities, programs, classes and help for senior citizens?

Plymouth Township’s Senior Center is called Friendship Station and is located at 42375 Schoolcraft (at Bradner). Activities include card playing (euchre, pinochle and bridge), daytime and evening line dancing sessions and Tai Chi classes. For information on these activities contact the Township Supervisor’s Office at 734-354-3203.

The Plymouth Community Council on Aging offers help to seniors such as transportation, food, minor home repairs and outside maintenance. For information call 734-354-3222 or visit the office at Plymouth Township Hall, 9955 N. Haggerty Rd..

I would like to see a stop sign, traffic signal or other street sign installed in my neighborhood. Whom can I talk to about this?

As a charter township and not a City, Plymouth Township has no authority or control over the roads and signals in our community. Wayne County Roads is the controlling authority. However, the police department has developed an excellent working relationship with Wayne County Roads and can assist in any evaluation of unsafe traffic situations. It is best to contact the Police Department and ask to leave a message with the Sergeant in charge of your Neighborhood Service Area.

Where can I get a copy of the deed to my property?

Deeds are available at the Wayne County Register of Deeds. For information call (313) 224-5850.

Where does our water come from?

The water comes from the Detroit River. It is purified by the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) through a water treatment plant. From there, it is pumped through their distribution system to Plymouth Township water system.

What chemicals are in the water?

DWSD sends us a monthly analysis of the water, which is available upon request. DWSD is responsible for the chemical content of the water. Their treatment plant has a laboratory with a certified chemist that monitors the water on a continual basis. Specific questions can be directed to the Manager of the Water Quality Division of the DWSD at (313) 267-3627.

A tree between the edge of the road and the sidewalk has caused two sections of sidewalk to raise. What do I do?

The DPW will inspect the site and take remedial action. The property owner has 30 days to make a repair.

When are Planning Commission Meetings? Where are they held?

Planning Commission meetings are held at 7:00 pm on the third Wednesday of each month. The meetings are held in the Plymouth Township Hall, Board Meeting Room, 9955 N. Haggerty Road. Click here for more information about the Planning Commission.

Does Plymouth Township regulate the rates set by the cable companies?

No. The individual cable service providers set the rates. The Board of Trustees sought to have local competition between cable operators to ensure that the residents would have a choice.

How do I make a complaint about my cable TV provider?

Click here for more information.