Treasurer's Office FAQ

Open Government/Budget
Document Center
Agendas and Minutes

Treasurer's Office FAQ's

What are the office hours?

Our offices are open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.  If you are unable to come in person during these hours, there is a white drop box located in the parking lot.

My taxes are too high, how can I reduce the taxes?

The first thing you should do is talk to the Assessor about the valuation on your property.  You can also check the appraisal records at Township Hall to make sure all components of the property are correct.  If you wish to proceed at this point, you must make an appointment with the March Board of Review to lodge an appeal.  For further information, contact the Assessing Department at (734) 354-3267.

What is the difference between Principal Residence and Non-Principal Residence?

(Principal Residence was formerly known as Homestead)

If you own and occupy your home as your principal residence, it should qualify as Principal Residence and may be exempt from a portion of your local school operating taxes.  Non-principal residence and business are considered Non-Principal Residence and are liable for school operating taxes.

My tax bill states Non-Principal Residence, should it be Principal Residence?

For a taxpayer to qualify for the Principal Residence Exemption they must own and occupy the property by June 1 of the year being requested.  A Principal Residence affidavit must be filed with the Assessing Department. The Affidavit can be found under the Assessing Department section on the Forms and Applications page.

Where can I get information about Principal Residence Affidavits and the tax valuation of my property?

Principal Residence Affidavits can be claimed or rescinded at the Assessing Department. Contact the Assessing Department for information about the tax valuation of property, (734) 354-3267. 

How do I get a stamped receipt if I use the drop box?

Enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your payment, and you will be mailed a stamped receipt.

Where can I find my Property ID number?

Property ID numbers can be found on the Tax Bill, Assessment Notice and Warranty Deed.

Can I charge my taxes on my credit card?

We are now accepting payments via credit card or electronic check though our Online Payments Page.  This service is provided by Point & Pay LLC.  A convenience fee of 3% will apply for credit card payments or a $3.00 charge for electronic checks up to $10,000.00 or a $10.00 fee for amounts above $10,000.00.

When are tax bills mailed out?

Tax bills are mailed on July 1st and December 1st.  If the day falls on a weekend, they are mailed on the Monday following the 1st.

How often does Plymouth Township send out water bills?

The residential accounts are billed every three months (quarterly) and the commercial accounts are billed every month.

How do I get on the automatic payment plan?

You may call the Water Billing Department at (734) 354-3270 or the Treasurer’s Department (734) 354-3218 to have an application mailed to you, or you can pick one up in either department. Go to the Forms and Applications page of the web site to print a form.

Where do I call for water bill inquiries, and where do I pay my bill?

The Water Billing Department answers water bill inquiries at the Department of Public Works building located at 9955 N. Haggerty Road, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. The Treasurer’s Department receipts the water bill payments at Plymouth Township Hall located at 9955 N. Haggerty Road from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. When mailing your water bill, send the bill to the Charter Township of Plymouth, P. O. Box 8040, Plymouth, MI 48170 and allow five business days for delivery. We also have a white drop box located on the circular driveway at Township Hall.