Frequently Asked Questions

Open Government/Budget
Document Center
Agendas and Minutes

Frequently Asked Questions:
Below are frequently asked planning and zoning questions that the Community Development (Planning and Zoning) Department has compiled. Further questions can be directed to:

1.      Where can I find a copy of the Township’s Zoning Ordinance?
          The Township’s Zoning Ordinance is available here on the Township’s website.

2.      What is my property zoned?
All parcels within the Township are assigned a zoning classification.  To determine the current zoning of a property, access the Zoning Map located on the Township’s website here.
Note: Approved Planned Unit Developments (PUDs) are also detailed on the Zoning Map. 

3.      Does the Township issue zoning verification letters?
No, the Township maintains a policy that no zoning verification letters shall be issued.  Please consult the Township Zoning Map here to determine the correct zoning of a property. 

4.      Where can I find a copy of the Township’s Master Plan and Future Land Use Map?
The Township’s Master Plan for Land Use is available here on the Township’s website

5.      Who controls stormwater management in the Township?
         All planning projects are subject to stormwater review and approval through Wayne County as the County is the ultimate authority for stormwater management in Plymouth Township.  Please contact Hikmat Kassem at (734) 595-6504 ex: 2038 with questions.  

6.      Can I split my property?
Parcels may be divided provided the parent parcel and all resultant lots comply with dimensional requirements of the applicable zoning district, all the standards of Section 28.2 of the Zoning Ordinance and the standards of the Michigan Land Division Act, P.A. 288 of 1967.  

7.      Will I be notified when development is proposed near my house?
For any proposed zoning variance, rezoning, and special land use requests, in accordance with state law, Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, P.A. 110 of 2006 as amended, adjacent properties within 300-feet of a subject site are notified via regular mail 15 days prior to a scheduled meeting.  Additionally, a notice of public hearing will appear in a newspaper of general circulation 15 days prior to a scheduled meeting.  A rezoning is the act of changing a specified parcel from its current zoning classification to another classification, thereby changing the types of uses permitted and requirements.  A special land use is a use that may be appropriate in certain locations, but due to its more intense nature requires a greater level of scrutiny and a public hearing to ensure compatibility with the surrounding area. 

For all proposed Zoning Ordinance text amendments, in accordance with state law, Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, P.A. 110 of 2006 as amended, a notice of public hearing will appear in a newspaper of general circulation at least 15 days prior to a scheduled meeting. 

8.      Recording of Deeds
All Township parcels and binding documents must be registered with the Wayne County Register of Deeds. Contact at (313) 224-5850 or 

9.      How do I find out if a road is private or public?
The Township does not maintain a list of private roads. To determine the jurisdiction of your road, click here to view the interactive Road Jurisdiction Map from SEMCOG. If your road was newly built within the last few years, it may not yet be on the map.”

10.   How do I find archived documents?
Plymouth Township keeps an electronic record of archived public documents on a Laserfiche System. The Laserfiche System can be accessed through the Clerk’s Department located on the first floor of Township Hall.  If you would like to access the system please set up an appointment with the Clerk’s office by calling (734) 354-3225 during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.).  

11.    Tree Removal 
Township ordinances require that site plans include a tree survey delineating any existing vegetation and “woodland” areas.  A “woodland” area is a physical, contiguous area that contains at least two 24-inch or larger trees.  Outside of delineated woodland areas, all 8-inch or larger trees must be identified on the tree survey.

All proposed development site plans must identify all trees that are 8-inches or larger, are of good or fair quality, and are to be removed to accommodate the new development.  Based on the tree survey, trees to be removed must either be replaced based on the Township’s levels of acceptable trees or compensated for using a payment-in-lieu. The payment-in-lieu application form is found here.  

12.   Where can I get copies of the development applications?
        All planning and development applications, including the payment-in-lieu form, are available on the forms page of the Township’s website, or from the Community Development Department between 8:00 A.M. – 4:30 P.M.  

13.   How do I create a new address?
New address forms are available in-person only through the Building Department on the first floor of Township Hall.

14.   What standards do private roads have to follow?
Private roads in the township are governed by a Private Road Construction and Maintenance Ordinance, which can be found here. In addition, the following fire code standards for Fire Apparatus Access Roads must be met, which can be found here.

If you have additional questions please contact the Township Planner, at

  • Posting Date: Oct 27 2022    End Date: Open until filled